This one will probably last today only.
Just in: People are getting hit with a signup bonus offer of 100k Membership Rewards points for signing up for the American Express Platinum Card (personal version).
You should be able to pull up the offer on the landing page. If you don’t, then the offer is out. There is also a specific offer code that you can reference if you want to apply over the phone:
POID BVGO: 0009
The annual fee for this card is $450/year, and the first year is not waived, which can be a tough pill to swallow at first glance. However, with the 100k points (which I value to be at the VERY LEAST worth $1,000), the card is worth the annual fee for a whole slew of reasons, including:
- Centurion lounge club access at participating airports (SFO, DFW, LAS, LGA, MIA, SEA)
- Delta SkyClub nationwide access
- Priority Pass Select lounge access worldwide
- $200 in ancillary flight credits each year (effectively saving you $200 off the annual fee). If you canceled the card a year from now, you’d actually get another $200 credit on Jan 1, 2017, for a total of $400 in ancillary flight credits. These credits can be used for checked bag fees, lounge fees, food/alcohol on board, but EVEN BETTER can be used for gift cards on select airlines like Southwest and American Airlines. You can also claim them as Amazon credits (which I treat basically as cash) if you use the card to purchase Amazon Gift Cards through the United MileagePlusX app
- TSA Pre/Global Entry application credit (a $100 value)
- Amex Platinum concierge service (extremely useful for tough to get restaurant reservations and show tickets, especially in foreign countries)
I signed up for this same offer/deal last year and it was one of the best deals I’ve ever received. Bank on this one!
Here are some more helpful resources about questions you might have on the Amex Platinum card or FAQs on the application process:
- You may find the Reddit thread that leaked this last year helpful. Here is the thread from last year: it has tons of chatter and can help answer most questions about this card
- Reddit also has a couple of FAQs with information about what you can do with MR points and how MR points from multiple cards work together
Happy travel hacking!